Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Raj Thackeray: Maverick or Hypocrite

Although many regards claims of Raj as a mere hypocrisy, his goal of doing something for regional Marathi’s is unquestionable. His uncanny orator skills and ability of awakening Marathi masses is indisputable. Hence Raj’s notion needs to go through a serious and detailed thought process.



Raj wants reservations for unskilled and skilled jobs in Maharashtra, and to be more specific in Mumbai, for local Marathi people. USA, one of the largest democracies in the world, has this kind of favoritism for its citizens. Even Europe has it. So if Raj demands something like this what’s wrong with it?


I believe there are two erroneous facts in his conviction. First, he is demanding such favoritism at state level rather than at national level which can lead to unprecedented chain reaction in which residents of different states of India are treated unequally, shaking the pillars of Indian democracy. Just imagine every state in India having reservation for jobs for his owns residents. It’s just absurd. Secondly, Mumbai which has became the Karmabhoomi of extremely ambitious people like Amitabh Bachchan will not remain the Karmabhoomi but it will become Marathabhoomi, segregated from rest of India. Besides this, when natives from other states migrate to Mumbai in the hopes of employment and better living, it not only spurs the economic growth of Mumbai and eventually of Maharashtra but it also helps to create innovative business leaders, which by their novel business ideas create more jobs. Growth of Reliance Industries would serve as an excellent example for my view point.


Hence Raj’s idea of favoritism seems like a hypocrisy but one thing is clear that Raj has noble goal to work for the upliftment of Marathi Manus and there is no doubt that Marathi Manus has tremendous potential which can be witnessed by success of veterans like Sachin Tendulkar and Vikram Pandit.


So questions remains what can Raj do for the uplifting of Marathi Manus? There are bunch of good ideas that would pop up in our minds but one's that came to my mind are 1) Raj should work with the leading business houses like Reliance, Tata’s to place more project in Maharashtra which could increase employment opportunities for local Marathi people. 2) He should work with government in bipartisan way for the upliftment of farmers and demand low cost financing from financial institutions for farmers, saving them from greedy money lenders.3) He should also work for increasing awareness of Marathi culture by demanding higher subsidies for production of Marathi movies and events.

Now it is up to Raj to follow same old ideologies of Shiv Sena and become Adolf Hitler for rest of India or work with more innovative ways to become the Mahatma Gandhi of Maharashtra.

7 comments:

VK said...

"When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came...

Laxmikant said...

VK there is no problem if person wants to work for the upliftment of a particular community. Problem starts when this help is at the cost of others.Thats the reason I said in my last sentecne if Raj wants to be Hitler for rest of india or MK Gandhi for Marathi manus.

Sumant said...

That's so right, VK! Hope marathi manus won't let history repeat itself...

Peace!

Laxmikant said...

Ok Sumant I agree that Raj has taken wrong path for his goal but goal which he has take is definitely noble. Would call MK Gandhi, Ambedkar, Martin Luther king , Nelson Mandala the same. Definitely no. They also work for the upliftment of particular class. It’s not goal but its path that's wrong in Raj's convection

Rahul Rathore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rahul Rathore said...

I prefer to disagree with your thoughts calling the actions of Raj Thackeray as noble. Whatever the end result is the means by which Raj Thaackeray is protesting do not justify his actions. His actions are condemnable. I will just ask a simple question

Are Marathi people really being threatened by the presence of other people in their states.

What Raj is doing here playing the age old game of divide and rule politics? aka creating a Marathi vote bank for the next elections

I do feel reservations based on regionalism is a strong blow to the "Unity in Diversity" theme that we Indians are so proud of....

Laxmikant said...

Well Rahul, I never said he is doing noble things. In fact, I called his actions as mere hypocrisy. But his goal is definitely not bad. He wants to do something good for Marathi Manus and there nothing wrong if he wants to do it. There are many guys in this world who worked for the upliftment of particular section of the society. Point that I am trying to make is, he is not doing it in right way. He is following same old ideologies of Shiv sena which will lead him nowhere. But if he works in right way he definitely can achieve greater success. Just think of difference in the ideologies of Mahatma Gandhi and Hitler. Gandhiji worked for doing something good for Indian on the other hand Hitler wanted to make Germans great. They pretty much had same kind of goal. But Gandhiji did with a path which involves peace; Hitler did it with a path which involves violence. So if Raj works by the path of Gandhji he can achieve the mayhem of greatness. What effectively I am trying to say is its actions that define what man is!